Built on the universe, era and tone of its infamous namesake, Jack the Ripper, Ripper Street is a genre TV success that proves audiences still love dark period crime. Meet Richard Warlow, the creator, writer and producer for this candid and indepth session into how he managed to get Ripper Street onto screens, and keep it there.
- What makes for a show that hooks producers and audiences?
- What were the stages and relationships that led to the first series commission?
- What made Ripper Street exciting to broadcasters?
- How do you manage the workload of so many shows?
- Writing character arcs over multiple seasons
- Taking liberties with the truth to serve drama and conflict
- The mechanics of the process – from concept, pitch, deal, commission, writing, production, fixing in post, transmission, global distribution, commission on the next season… Repeat
You can download and read the pilot episode of Ripper Street HERE.
Appearing in this session
Credits include: MetaWars, Trucktown, Princess Ponies
Credits include: Ripper Street, Mistresses
Credits include: Peaky Blinders, Ripper Street