“Give us the gate key.”
“I have no gate key.”
“Fezzik, tear his arms off.”
“Oh! You mean this gate key!”
– William Goldman, “The Princess Bride”
To breach the city walls of screenwriting success, writers often focus on getting an agent or producer on board. These are fine goals. But agents, managers, producers, directors, and every other person with juice has a staff whose job is to stand between their bosses and those who are not yet ready for the big leagues.
What strategies can you use to reveal yourself as the needle in the haystack? How do you go from hidden gem to shining star? What characteristics inspire the keepers of the gates to put their reputations on the line and vouch for you?
In this session, delegates will:
- Get a candid behind-the-scenes glimpse at the machinery that drives the industry.
- Develop strategies on professionalism which will encourage business relationships with the gatekeepers.
- Unravel – specifically – what they look for in projects to pass along to their bosses.
- Where is the line? Should you ever cross it? And is there a way back if you’ve knowingly (or not) gone too far past it?
Script Readers, Assistants, and Interns have their own career objectives: to become the big players of tomorrow. Learning to connect to them is an integral part of a long-term career strategy. And you can kick it off with this eye-opening session.
Appearing in this session
Agent and great supporter of emerging talent.